Episode #23 of Power to the Small Business podcast.
The Internet show about small business marketing.
The social media evangelists are preaching: “Social media is the way, the truth, the light!” But is it right for your business? And if it is, how do you get started?
David Berkowitz is Director of Emerging Media & Client Strategy for 360i, a social media marketing company based in New York. In this episode of Power to the Small Business, David explains how get a social media program started and how to analyze whether or not a particular channel is for you. David says that while most of these tools are free, the time commitment can be enormous.
Guest: David Berkowitz – Director of Emerging Media & Client Strategy, 360i
Length: 24 minutes
Press the play button on the player above and get started. Comments, questions about web analytics? Please share it in the comment section below.
David Berkowitz: Show Notes on Social Media
Starting a Social Media Program:
Social media is a broad term. Some companies may have social media programs without even realizing it. If you have a Facebook or MySpace page, You have a social media program.
- People are already participating in social media. You should know if your customers are participating.
- Have a sense of how you approach all the areas where consumers are actively participating and sharing content.
- Make use of the avail public tools. Most of the information is available is free.
- While many of the tools are free, the time commitment can be enormous.
Social Media Program Tools:
- FaceBook – Useful for letting customers write comments and solicit feedback.
- MySpace – Excellent for reaching students and younger demographics
- Twitter – A good channel for brief communications, sharing links and having quick exchanges.
- Blogging – Tools such as Blogger, WordPress and Typepad are a cornerstone of social media programs. A good choice for broadcasting your ideas, start conversations, and get search engine results.
- YouTube – Video hosting solution. Good for product demos or if you have a passionate personality. You can also produce content about your business or industry.