This past weekend I was at ProductCamp Austin and caught Shawn Livengood’s excellent presentation on Pay Per Click Advertising Campaigns. After his session, Shawn and I got together in the lobby to discuss PPC and some starter tips for small business owners. Dustin Donham was there to capture Shawn’s wisdom on video.
Email Subscribers and Feed Readers, click here to watch the video if you don’t see the player: PPC Starter Tips
PPC Starter Tips from Shawn Livengood
When using Pay Per Click Advertising, Small Businesses should:
- Focus on keywords that are very specific to what you offer
- Go after keywords that have a very strong intent to buy or to take action on your website
- Instant results
- Metrics that show: Conversions, ROI, revenue
Top 3 Starter Tips
- Separate all your campaigns and focus on search traffic
- Broad keywords generate traffic but poor ROI
- Exact match keywords are good for a tight ROI but generate less traffic
- Maintain relevance for keywords you are bidding on, text ad copy, and landing pages.
Google vs. Bing/Yahoo
- Google has more traffic: 70% share
- Bing/Yahoo only 25% share, but you tend to get a better ROI because fewer people are bidding.